Written by Sjarn Day Mansoor
Moringa oleifera – in Ayurveda it is known as shigru, shobhanjanor or sahijan, the drumstick tree is nature’s true miracle tree and a super food with benefits for everyone!
Centuries of use around the world shows the efficacy of its medicinal value and health-giving benefits. Indigenous to India it also grows in South America, Asia and Africa. Moringa oleifera is a fast-growing, drought-resistant tree and highly nutritional. All parts of the tree are used: young seed pods and leaves as vegetables and traditional herbal medicine. Moringa trees are used for water purification.
I made my acquaintance with Moringa many years ago while working at Neal’s Yard Health Shop. A nursing sister would come in every week and buy 3 or 4 bottles at a time. Intrigued I was curious as to why she was buying so much and asked her what she was doing with the Moringa. As a nurse she was giving it to her patients to help them recover from illness and was getting very good results. Another regular customer also came in every month for his Moringa. For him it was a great energy booster for all his sporting activities. Always willing to try out new herbs and super foods I started supplementing with Moringa and was immediately amazed at my higher energy levels and physical endurance with high intensity exercise. Ever since then I have been a great advocate for Moringa, singing its praises to everyone about its incredible benefits and value for so many different ailments.
What does Moringa do for you?
As an anti-microbial, it has antifungal, antiviral, antidepressant, and anti-inflammatory properties and contains a variety of antioxidants, proteins, vitamins, and minerals. Moringa is valuable for health and beauty and there are few known side effects, however if you are on medication, please consult your doctor before taking moringa extract.
– Moringa has the highest O.R.A.C. (oxygen radical absorbance capacity) value score ever recorded. It has an incredible amount of antioxidants, some of which are not found in any other food except Moringa. Zeatin is a plant hormone that shows promise as an early treatment for Alzheimer’s. Moringinine is a more powerful bio-available isothiocyanate than sulforane, which is found in broccoli. Studies show that Moringinine has neuro protective properties for conditions such as strokes, Parkinsons, traumatic brain injury and Alzheimers. Reducing brain inflammation and helping with feelings of depression and anxiety. Moringa has a positive impact on your energy levels and mood.
– Anti-inflammatory – The isothiocyanates in Moringa are anti-inflammatory compounds that may assist with inflammation and oedema, a painful condition where fluid builds up in body tissues.
– Anti-biotic – Moringa has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties which can help with infections such as E.coli, H.pylori and Salmonella.
– Cancer – The active compound in Moringa, Niazimcin extract may help assist with stopping the development of cancer cells.
– Liver care – Protection against damage done to the liver by chemicals and toxins.
– Stomach and colon – The anti-microbial activity of Moringa may help with bacterial infections in the colon. Assisting with ulcerative colitis, leaky gut, diverticulitis, constipation and gastritis, treats gastric ulcers and diarrhoea. Digestion is improved with the B-Vitamins in Moringa
– Bones and skeletal health – The minerals in Moringa help build and maintain healthy bones and assist in the repair of broken bones. The anti-inflammatory effect is helpful for arthritis and rheumatism.
– Good mood – The nutritional profile of Moringa is valuable in helping with low energy levels and chronic fatigue. The nervous system benefits, anxiety, panic attacks and depression are gently supported by the proteins, vitamins and minerals.
– Heart and cardiovascular system – The high nutrition and energy that Moringa provides supports heart health, circulation and integrity of the venous system and strengthens the heart beat. High levels of antioxidants play a protective role against damage caused to the heart by chemicals and oxidative stress,
– Arterial plaque – helps to lower cholesterol and quercetin helps lower blood pressure.
– High Blood pressure – The active compounds isothiocyanate and niaziminincan help stop arteries from thickening
– Anaemia – Moringa can help the body absorb iron better, acts as a blood builder by increasing red blood cells. Helps treat and prevent anaemia and sickle cell disease.
– Respiratory tract and asthma – Assists with improving lung function, breathing. Relaxes bronchiole constriction and reduces severity of asthma
– Kidneys – Regular consumption of Moringa lessens the development of stones in the kidney and bladder. Anti-oxidants help detoxify the kidneys. People may be less likely to develop stones in the kidneys, bladder or uterus if they ingest moringa extract. Moringa contains high levels of antioxidants that might aid in reducing toxicity levels in the kidneys.
– Diabetes – Moringa is invaluable in balancing blood sugar, helps to bring down high glucose levels in the blood and the urine. Chlorogenic acid found in Moringa helps moderate blood sugar after eating a meal.
– Healing wounds – Moringa extract helps to minimise scar tissue and the healing of wounds.
– Eye health – The high antioxidant levels in Moringa improve eyesight. Retinal function is improved, and the dilation of retinal capillaries and thickening membranes of capillaries may be assisted. High Beta carotene (Vitamin A), Lutein and Zeaxanthin content in Moringa helps improve and strengthen eyesight. Moringa flavonoids are helpful for glaucoma and cataracts and protecting against them.
– Skin and hair care – Moringa seed oil protects hair against damage from pollution, keeping it healthy, clean and strong. The protein in Moringa hydrates and protects the skin from damage. Helps for skin infections, cuts and sores.
– Weight management – Studies show Moringa is helpful in weight reduction and control. The high B-Vitamins help with digestion of food and preventing the storage of fat.
– Sleep – Moringa aids better sleep with high levels of Tryptophan, calcium and magnesium. Tryptophan is able to convert into serotonin, which then can convert to melatonin, which assists relaxation and sleep. Highly absorbable plant based magnesium relaxes body and mind and reduces stress levels. Also relaxes muscles and cramps.
Moringa is a power packed natural food based multivitamin containing Vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, B12, Folate, Biotin, Vit C, D, E, K. Minerals: Iron, Copper, Calcium, Magnesium, Manganese, Chromium, Molybdenum, Phosphorous, Potassium, Selenium, Sodium, Sulphur, Zinc. Essential Carotenoids, Beta carotene, Lutein, Zeaxanthin,46 antioxidants, antibiotics. Essential Amino acidsThreonine, Valine, Methionine, Leucine, Isoleucine, Phenylalanine, Histidine, Lysine, Tryptophan, Valine and Arginine. Non-essential amino acids: Alanine, Cystine, Glutamine, Glycine, Proline, Serine, Tyrosine.
The wide spectrum of phytochemicals gives Moringa many therapeutic activities, that are antibiotic, antifungal, antitumor, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, protects the brain, heart and liver and the body on a cellular level. Moringa promotes good health and can be used in the prevention and treatment of chronic diseases.
Ayurvedic Perspective on Moringa
According to Vaidya Mishra, an Ayurvedic expert from the Shankha Vamsa lineage, Moringa is both a detoxifier as well as a tonic. Whenever we detox we also use a tonic, Moringa does both. It purifies and nourishes the blood and muscle tissues, the bone marrow and the fat tissues of any toxins at the same time nourishing it.
Ayurvedic Properties/Guna of Moringa
|Taste (rasa)||Pungent/katu, tikta/bitter|
|Post||Digestive metabolic state (vipak): pungent/katu|
|Guna||Light/laghu, dry/ruksha, sharp/tikshana, fluid/sara|
|Prabhava||•Liver cleanser (yakritsodhana)
•Purifies Blood (raktasodhaka)
•Removes worms (krmi), acidic toxins from the blood (amavishagni)
•Relieves from tumor (gulma)
•Strengthens heart/ hridya, fat metabolism and weight loss/Medovishahara and regulates cholesterol.
The leaves of the Moringa tree are truly a superfood and have great nutritional value: 3 times the iron than spinach, 4 times the calcium in milk, 3 times the potassium of bananas, 7 times the Vitamin C of oranges.
Moringa has major health benefits to counteract starvation and malnutrition, especially among children, babies and nursing mothers.
Moringa trees grow well in arid and semiarid environments, giving high nutrition in the most stressed geographic regions of the world. Moringa provides food and oil for cooking and is also used for water purification.
ACT Foundation South Africa has launched the ACT Rescue Pack-High Nutrition Pack which contains:
100g Moringa powder
1kg Sorghum meal
1kg Maize meal
1kg mung beans
ACT Rescue Packs are specifically formulated to give complete basic nutrition, providing vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids, protein, and complex carbohydrates.
This is vital for the development of growing children who need proper nutrition to assist with healthy physical growth and cognitive development in their formative years.
Many children come to school without eating breakfast or do not have a proper lunch or supper.
This makes concentration and focus exceedingly difficult for them at school. It impacts on their energy levels and overall ability to successfully attend to their studies.
To combat malnutrition, these nutritious packs can be distributed to schools, children in disadvantaged communities, mothers, low income households, street dwellers, disaster relief, famine areas.
ACT Rescue packs provide
30 serving rations a month or
3 meal rations a day for 10 days
Plus 30 servings of
The cost for the ACT Rescue Pack is $10.00 which is $0.33 a day.
These packs cam be extended to include extra rations such as
Rehydration formulas, instant soup, dehydrated vegetables and spices.
If you would like to support this initiative or be part of the program to get these packs delivered in your community, please contact Sjarn +27 79 881 0035